Logo
��Oil filters. Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
All-Trac Wagon Network    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Oil filters.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

Oil filters.  This thread currently has 619 views. Print Print Thread
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
datsa
June 10, 2010, 9:18pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Wandering around SoCal
Maximum Member
Reputation Score: +3 / -0
For most A-Ts, the oil filter is a relatively small one like that shown below on the left; they often have part numbers consisting of one, two or three letters followed by 4967, or sometimes 14476, for the 4AFE engines.  These come with UNF-2B threads pitch, 3/4 - 16 threads, 2.69 " outer diameter and 2.93" height, and 14-18 psi relief valve pressure.  But prior to April of 1987, 4AFE engines used a larger oil filter, such as the Purolator L22821 or the Proline PPL22821, which as the same thread pitch and threads, but a lower relief valve pressure 12-15 psi, wider diameter (3.15 ") and taller height (3.94 ").   An example is that shown on the right, below.  The lower pressure of the relief valve is interesting since the engine specs didn't change appreciably, but did get fuel injection, but they still  moved to a smaller oil filter.  Only in 1993 did the 4AFE engine change significantly, and then to make way for the 7AFE engine.

I've recently switched to a Proline PPL22821 (available at PepBoys) and so far it has not caused any problems, even though it has a larger filtration area but a smaller relief valve pressure.  Of course, this could mean that the relief valve is being triggered, resulting in oil not being filtered but since my oil has remained clean, I assume that it is working.   I want to see if a larger filter makes any difference in oil cleanliness.

the other alternative is to use a filter with same relief valve pressure but is taller, like the Purolator L14477, made for the 4AGE engine. It has the same threads, same relief valve pressure, same diameter as the 4967 and 14476, but taller canister at 3.52".  

I just got back from Mexico, and I'm due to go back in a few weeks.  So far the car and oil filter have held up well.

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

1988 AE95 CAT SR5
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message
Rogue
June 11, 2010, 12:36am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Florida, USA
Maximum Member
Reputation Score: +8 / -0
Thanks for posting this... I was wondering why the new filter(s) I bought for my wagon was so much smaller than the one someone had used before I bought the wagon.  It was a larger Purolator oil filter on the car when I bought it.  I wrote down the part #, will have to come back and say which is was.

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 8
datsa
June 12, 2010, 5:12am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Wandering around SoCal
Maximum Member
Quoted from Rogue
Thanks for posting this... I was wondering why the new filter(s) I bought for my wagon was so much smaller than the one someone had used before I bought the wagon.  It was a larger Purolator oil filter on the car when I bought it.  I wrote down the part #, will have to come back and say which is was.

Just to clarify things. The rubber gasket that seals the oil filter against the engine block are the same diameter for both of these filters, so oil won't leak if the larger filter is used.

I'm going to run this for a few thousand miles, then try the taller 14777 canister that has the same diameter as the recommended 4967 or 14776 filters.  Then do a comparison of relative performance.  

1988 AE95 CAT SR5
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 8
dylangumby
June 12, 2010, 6:43am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Calgary, Canada
Big Member
I'm definitely interested in this topic, I'm not sure where to buy that brand here in Canada. I'm a little ashamed to admit I've just been using the standard FRAM from Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire.

I've been meaning to switch to synthetic soon, that when I intend on switching oil filters too.

[Current] 91 Sprinter Carib AVII - JDM R.H.D. - AE95 4A-FHE - 176,000km (109,400mi)
[Old] 89 Corolla JDM R.H.D. All Trac - AE95 4A-FE - Murdered by T-Bone 01/18/11 @ 224,000km (139mi) - R. I. P.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 3 - 8
Rogue
June 12, 2010, 12:53pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Florida, USA
Maximum Member
Reputation Score: +8 / -0
I'm sure this is a matter of debate & personal opinion, but I've read that Fram is the worst brand you can buy.  One of the better brands is Purolator... I'll have to look for the link I had with some guy who reviewed all filter types and researched who made what (because some are just re-branded).

I think this is one of the review sites, but not the one I was thinking of (which had pics of the filters cut open)...

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/opinions.html

Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 8
JedzWagn
June 12, 2010, 5:18pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Melbourne Victoria Australia
Maximum Member
Reputation Score: +5 / -0
I had fun changing my filter not so long ago, I wouldn't be suprised if it was the original from 20 years ago. I ended up puncturing it with a screw driver to get some leverage. Damn thing was stuck on real hard!
Here it is minus the screw driver..

I was fitting second hand extractors (original cast iron factory header had just about about cracked in two!)

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

AKA PrettyCoolWagon  on toymods

https://www.facebook.com/Corolla.Ae95.4wd Like the page...

Changed mind again - photo album/build log
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.272155129596339.1073741831.171307006347819&type=3
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 8
dylangumby
June 13, 2010, 1:41am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Calgary, Canada
Big Member
Certainly does look like the original, especially with the Japanese (I'm assuming) characters on it. Yowza.

Rogue: I wouldn't argue with you, I've also heard that they're the worst. Every time I'm due for an oil change, I end up crunched for cash, and I forget about it in the mean time! I want to switch to synthetic this oil change, its perfect timing with the hottest months ahead of me. I'll have to check Mopac and Partsource to see what my options are this time!

[Current] 91 Sprinter Carib AVII - JDM R.H.D. - AE95 4A-FHE - 176,000km (109,400mi)
[Old] 89 Corolla JDM R.H.D. All Trac - AE95 4A-FE - Murdered by T-Bone 01/18/11 @ 224,000km (139mi) - R. I. P.
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 8
datsa
June 13, 2010, 5:05am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Wandering around SoCal
Maximum Member
Quoted from JedzWagn
I had fun changing my filter not so long ago, I wouldn't be suprised if it was the original from 20 years ago.

I agree. It certainly looks like a genuine Toyota oil filter.  

Just a clarification: Proline (PepBoys line) is made by Purolator, I believe.  Purolator is my preferred brand, although I've used Fram and Mobil.

I, too, have heard of problems with Fram: Here is an old but still relevant study on the internal construction of oil filters. http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html
This older study is made by the same guy who did the newer recommendations as stated by Rogue above.  There are links to the page that Rogue referenced above.

Another place to check on oil-related stuff is http://www.bobistheoilguy.com. That's right: the website is called "Bob is the Oil Guy"
Check out their forums. They have one just for oil filters. I post there occasionally under the same name as here "Datsa"

1988 AE95 CAT SR5
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 8
datsa
July 5, 2010, 6:02am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Wandering around SoCal
Maximum Member

Well, it has been 1000 miles since I put on the larger Purolator oil filter, and so far the oil is much cleaner than what I typically see.  It is still golden yellow rather than more brownish, so I can tentatively conclude that maybe -- just maybe -- the larger oil filter with its larger surface area is doing a better job cleaning up the oil.

Will wait until 2K miles to see if things continue to hold up.  BTW, I would normally change my oil at 2K miles anyway (even though the FSM says 7.5K to 10K miles).

1988 AE95 CAT SR5
Logged Offline
E-mail E-mail Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print Print Thread

All-Trac Wagon Network    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Oil filters.

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.